KLOECKNER MOMENTS 2021
The past year has not been easy with the pandemic continuing to disrupt the world. With restrictions changing every few weeks, anxiety has been on the rise and people have felt isolated. But despite all the uncertainty in the world, there have been many positive things the pandemic has brought out to us. One of the major ones being the focus on community and helping each other get through these hard times.
At Kloeckner Metals UK, we are always looking for ways to show our employees and community that they are not alone, and that help will always be given when needed. Here are some ways we showed our support in 2021:
KLOECKNER CARES INITIATIVES 2021:
In 2021, Kloeckner Cares supported various initiatives through donations and taking the extra steps to create awareness. Here are some of the initiatives we supported in the past year:
THE 2021 MOVEMBER CAMPAIGN
In the month of November, we partnered with Blue Ribbon Foundation to help raise awareness about men’s health, an issue that often gets overlooked. We supported the Movember cause in the following ways:
- Each of our trucks donned a moustache to support the Movember movement and raise awareness for the cause
- Our team developed the Movember Quiz to raise awareness about men’s health and to help check how much they knew about men’s health. For every person that participated in the quiz, Kloeckner Metals UK donated £5 to the Blue-Ribbon Foundation.
- Many of our team members sported a moustache to show their support for the cause #WatchThisSpace
- Kloeckner Metals UK donated £1,000 to the Blue-Ribbon Foundation at the end of the campaign
CASH FOR KIDS
With the festive season right around the corner, we partnered with Cash for Kids to support their Mission Christmas Initiative to ensure disadvantaged children received a new and wrapped present this Christmas. This year, we supported the initiative in the following ways:
- We donated £2,000 to the Cash for Kids foundation to support disadvantaged kids during the festive season
- Additionally, our employees also pitched in by generously donating their Christmas vouchers worth £475 with which we purchased a trolley full of gifts for the disadvantaged kids at the foundation
OTHER INITIATIVES BY KLOECKNER CARES
Throughout the year, we also donated and sponsored various other grassroot initiatives in the following ways:
- We sponsored £500 to be the main shirt sponsor for East Leeds ARL Rugby League team
- We sponsored £500 to be the main shirt sponsor for Garforth AFC football team.
- We donated £500 to Dubs on Tour charity who will buy gifts for kids in The Midlands.
BRENT PRIMARY SCHOOL MEMORIAL FOR LILY
At Kloeckner Metals UK, we partnered with one of our customers, KET Ltd., and some other local companies to create a beautiful bench in the shape of a butterfly in the memory of Lily. Lily was involved in a tragic traffic accident and one of the parents took upon himself to create a memorial in the shape of a butterfly, as Lily loved butterflies. The bench is located at Brent Primary School’s Playground in memory of Lily.
A VERY SPECIAL SAFETY STAR
We are extremely proud of our employee Pawel Lopucki, on being an ambassador for Safety 1st. He was out doing his deliveries in Tayside, when he came across a cyclist who had been knocked off his bicycle and was lying unconscious in the middle of a busy road. He stopped the vehicle and went to the injured person’s aid, asking another cyclist who arrived at the scene to call an ambulance and to direct the traffic until it arrived. He stayed at the location until the ambulance arrived and reported the incident to the office.
HEALTH ASSURED CAMPAIGN
Employee wellbeing is extremely important to us at Kloeckner. This year, to ensure the wellbeing of our employees, we partnered with Health Assured and Gill Stringer to organise a Mental Health First Aid training for our team.
Our employees did a fantastic job developing skills to recognise signs and to offer support to those suffering from mental health problems.
KLOECKNER’S COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY
We at Kloeckner are committed to putting the climate first and have taken various initiatives to support the green cause. They are as follows:
- Our parent company has pledged to follow in the footsteps of the UN’s 1.5 commitment for which we promise to undertake verifiable measures to limit the global temperature rise to 1.5°C by reducing our greenhouse emissions
- In order to achieve our sustainability targets, in October 2021, we switched to 100% renewable electricity for all our operations at Kloeckner Metals UK
KLOECKNER STAFF FUNDRAISING INITIATIVES
Our culture at Kloeckner encourages each one of us to support and help our community in whatever way possible. Our staff take various initiatives to support causes important to them. We are proud of our team members who go above and beyond for their acts of kindness and make sure our donations match their fundraising achievements.
BOB LESLIE FUNDRAISED FOR ROYAL MANCHESTER CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
Bob Leslie ran the Manchester Half marathon in support of his grandson Tommy, who was treated in the Royal Manchester Children’s hospital for Wilms Tumor and needed a kidney removed. While undergoing his chemo he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. We donated £375 to the Manchester Children’s Hospital to support Bob Leslie.
MICHAEL LAVELLE AT RACE FOR LIFE
Mike Lavelle and his family participated in a Race for Life Pretty Muddy event at Birmingham. To show our appreciation for his efforts, we donated £500 towards Lavelle and his cause supporting Cancer Research in the UK.
ANNETTE CUNNINGHAM FUNDRAISED FOR BRAUNSTON COMMUNITY CAR
Annette did the 96 miles long West Highlands Way walk over 8 days to fundraise for her community. We supported Annette by donating £500 for the Braunston Community Car which is free to use for anyone who does not have a car or cannot drive and needs to get to a doctor, dentist, hospital or needs to go shopping for essentials.
KIERAN HAS GONE “GANGSTA”
Kieran, another star employee at Kloeckner, got together with his friends to organise a weekend charity called Santa’s a Gangster in December. The initiative is to help families whose children would otherwise get nothing for Christmas. Kieran collected donations of toys, driving around in his van covered in tinsel and fairy lights. Kloeckner too will be contributing to this cause and supporting Kieran with an additional £500 donation.
ROBERT BRIEN'S SUPPORT FOR PROSTATE CANCER
Robert Brien participated in the Cycle the Month event to raise awareness for Prostate cancer. He cycled over 200 miles and raised over £2,700 for Prostate Cancer UK. We donated £500 to support him and his cause.
OUR GRIMSBY TEAM’S DONATION TO ST. ANDREW’S HOSPICE
Our Grimsby team achieved a remarkable 2,000 days without a lost time accident. For this, the company decided to reward them for their achievement. The team got together and selflessly donated their entire award to the local St. Andrew’s Hospice. We donated £750 on their behalf.