Pre-painted steels were introduced over 40 years ago and have evolved with the ever increasing demands of industry sectors such as Construction and Domestic Appliances. Over 1,500 million m² of pre-painted steel is produced each year via a continuous coating process – join the success story today!
There are many reasons why pre-painted steels prove themselves to be advantageous compared with post-painting techniques. Firstly, pre-painted steel is available in a myriad of product types and surface finishes developed specifically for a wide range of applications. Plus the consistency of colour and uniformity of finish enables you to reduce any re-working of post painted products caused by poor coating. Another reason why pre-painted steel is preferable is the formability of the coating, it allows you to purchase a ready-to-manufacture product and reduce your work in progress levels. And finally, pre-painted steels also offer many financial savings as they can avoid the costs associated with in-house painting, including complying to environmental regulations due to their environmentally-friendly nature.
What exactly is pre-painted steel?
Pre-finished steel products are made up of a series of layers, each with a function;
- Metallic coated steel substrate
Using pre-painted metal can provide manufacturers with a streamlined manufacturing process, cost savings and a more environmentally friendly production facility.
The continuous pre-painting process is designed to produce highly uniform, impeccable-quality coatings. The coatings are precisely applied on one or both sides of the metal and meet the finished product specifications. Manufacturers using pre-finished metals will find consistent colour, texture, thickness and performance in their finished products.
What are the benefits?
- Reassurance of uniformity and high performance characteristics
- Extensive choice in colour, product type and finish without the compromise of performance
- Proven sustainable credentials of material
- RoHS, REACH & WEEE compliant materials available.
- Material properties support both innovative and traditional design – flexibility, formability, durability and high strength to weight ratio
- Durable and robust surface
- Minimal maintenance requirements
- Uniform performance of product throughout its life cycle
- Materials can be readily refurbished, re-used or recycled.
- Manufactured under stringent Quality Control procedures
Pre-painted steel can be used in a wide variety of sectors with end uses varying from construction (cladding / HEVAC) and garage doors, to cold stores and lighting. The combination of colour, surface finish and formability can be specified for nearly all applications.
If you’d like to find out more about Kloeckner’s specialist business unit, Organically Coated Steels, and our unrivalled range of pre-painted and specialist metallic coated steels click here.