When you’re starting a new project, it can often be difficult to find a material that is both suitable for the application and is able to provide the properties your project requires.
At Kloeckner Metals UK, we offer a wide range of steel materials, but we are always expanding our portfolio to ensure we can continue to cater to the requirements of our customers. An alloy composed of Zinc, Aluminium and Magnesium, Magnelis is a one of our newer products and offers a similar appearance to Galvanised Steel but with many more benefits.
We recently sat down with Eric Hill, Sales Manager within our Organically Coated Steel department, to learn everything there is to know about Magnelis. Read on to find out more…
What is Magnelis?
Magnelis is a metallic, steel-coated product which uses a metallic chemical composition of zinc with 3.5% aluminium and 3% magnesium. This coating enables Magnelis to offer high corrosion resistance, which is up to 10x better than that of Galvanised Steel and ensures it can withstand some of the harshest environments.
What’s more, Magnelis can also fold, bend and form and offers a uniform, consistent quality and finish meaning that customers are able to rely on the product. The nature of the product also means that it can be sent straight to the customer from cutting, rather than having a waiting time to be coated, unlike other products, allowing a quicker turnaround time for the customer.#
Where is Magnelis used?
The properties offered by Magnelis mean it is a product that is used across many different industries and sectors.
These industries and sectors include:
- Rainwater systems
- Heating and ventilation
- Agricultural buildings
- Safety barriers
- Industrial or garage doors
- Electrical enclosures
- Switchgear and instrumentation
- Personal security or door security
- Solar reflectivity
- Washing systems
- Outdoor furniture
This wide range of industries can benefit from the superior corrosion resistance, particularly where there is exposure to ammonia and chloride.
Magnelis has also been used during the Cross-Rail project as a test to replace Stainless Steel, a much more expensive product. Magnelis offers a better corrosion resistance and enabled the project to save money.
Why choose Magnelis?
As a customer, there are many benefits to choosing Magnelis for your next application. These benefits include, but are not limited to:
- High corrosion resistance – This is the main benefit, particularly when ammonia or chloride is in contact with the project.
- Alternative to Stainless Steel – This can often mean that the project or application can be more economical for the business.
- Edge protection – Magnelis offers self-repairing protection for cut edges.
- RoHS compliant – Magnelis is RoHS compliant meaning it is lead and mercury free.
- Environmentally friendly – Magnelis uses less Zinc than Galvanised Steel products and is therefore better for the environment.
- Performs well in its natural state – This means that there is often a quicker turnaround than when Galvanised Steel products are used. Magnelis also offers the option to be powder coated.
As Magnelis continues to grow in popularity, we are getting more frequent requests for this product. It is relatively new, but more and more uses are being found for it.
If you would like more information on Magnelis, and how it could be used in your next application, please contact us here.